Mirrors are an interior designer’s best friend. And with good reason! Interior designers find multiple uses for mirrors in home decor. Besides the obvious (and most prosaic) use as something to check your appearance in, designers can also use mirrors, framed in an intriguing manner, to transform the look of dull corners or plain hallways.
Trending Mirror Interior Design Ideas
Many designers start using mirrors right at the entrance of a home. A mirror in the foyer, like in the elegant interior shown below, is a great idea for last-minute hair and make-up check before running out the door. This kind of mirror is perfect for an entrance hallway design.
Living Room Mirror Interior Design
Mirrors that are hung opposite a window, especially one with a pretty view, help to bounce the light from outside and will brighten up the entire room. The bigger the window, the brighter your space will seem. When you have a lovely garden, why not enjoy it from a different angle as well?
Mirror on the Textured Wall
Framed in interesting ways, mirrors can be used as pieces of art against a feature wall. These pictures below showcase creative ways that designers have used mirrors as pieces of wall décor. The colour and texture of the frame should take their cue from the background and should complement the other elements in the room.
Bedroom Mirror Interior Design
In this modern bedroom, randomly arranged circular mirrors of different sizes are juxtaposed against each other to capture slices of views of the bedroom. Framed in simple black, these mirrors are contemporary and quirky at the same time.
Floor To Ceiling Mirrored wall-Panelling
There is a growing trend to use large floor-to-ceiling mirrors as wall panel; this is popular both in homes as well as offices. Do keep in mind, however, that the mirror should reflect something worthwhile, and not just a boring plain wall, for instance!
Kitchen Wall Mirror Interior Design
With a little imagination, the possibilities of using mirrors in home décor are endless. A large mirror could be used in a small kitchen to completely change the look of a plain wall, create the illusion of added space, and enhance the appearance of the cabinets.
Beautiful Mirror Frame
If you have a traditional interior, then an antique mirror that has a beautiful aged frame, complete with its inherent imperfections, can be the focal point of interest in your room. This type of mirror would be ideal for a dining room design as well.
Mirrored sliding shutters that go from floor to ceiling in the bedroom can create a dramatic effect and transform your everyday bedroom into one that is anything but boring! Add some subtle lighting and silken sheets, and your bedroom can transform itself into an ultra-glamorous den.
What are the advantages of using mirrors? How do they accentuate your space?
As mentioned before, when used in the right way, mirrors can accentuate spaces, make a small space look larger or improve the lighting in a room. They can be used to frame interesting views or add a touch of drama to space. The reflections cast in a mirror can be more eye-catching than a static picture frame, as they can showcase dancing leaves or pretty patches of light and shade.
- Think carefully about where you position the mirror and the angle you wish to reflect.
- Placed next to a lampshade, a mirror will enhance the light in the room.
- When sitting on a sofa, you might want the mirror to reflect a favourite piece of art that is on the wall across you.
Do and Don’t with Mirrors In Home Decor?
- Before you choose the position where you want to hang your mirror, do consider what will be reflected in it, from all angles.
- Just as a mirror will highlight anything of beauty, if it is hung right across from something that is ugly, it will give that item too much importance.
- Also, do remember that a mirror can be positioned at whatever height looks best, unlike pieces of art which should always be hung at eye level to show them off to the best advantage.
A clever designer can use mirrors to enhance light, create dramatic interest, accentuate dimensions, and add character to any space. We hope that these tips have helped you think of your mirrors in a new light! Do you have any new ideas? Do share them with us!
Vastu Tips for Mirrors at Home
When installing mirrors in the home whether, for a 1 bhk design, 2 bhk design, or even a 3 bhk design, it is important to pay attention to the Vastu of the entire setup:
- Dressing table mirrors should be placed in the east
- In the living room, place the mirror on a table in the foyer for a welcoming touch
- If you have landscaping done around the home, you can place a mirror opposite to the scape to reflect the beauty
- In the bathrooms, mirrors should always be placed in the most well-lit part
1. Is It a Good Idea to Use Mirrors in the Interior Design?
Yes, mirrors are an excellent choice for decorating your home. Mirror interior design works to bounce off the natural and artificial lighting in your home at various angles, illuminating the spaces in an alluring way.
Furthermore, this light-play gives small spaces a sense of roominess and depth. The use of a mirror in interior design works to enhance the beauty of the room it is housed in.
2. Are Mirrors Good for the Living Room?
Mirrors are a great addition to your living room. Interior mirror design works to give your living room the look of a modern space. You can employ articulately designed mirrors to match the theme of your interiors.
Using a mirror for interior design of the living room also helps to scatter light in just the right way throughout the living room. It improves the habitability of a space.
3. What Types of Mirrors Are on Trend?
Just like everything else, the interior design mirrors also come and go according to trends. You can expect the following mirror interior design ideas to be in vogue in 2023:
- Coloured glass mirrors
- Mirror interior design with artistic frames
- Asymmetric mirror interior design
- Architectural mirrors and mirrorwork
- Boho, organic framed mirror interior design
Keep a watch out for these types of mirrors in interior design to transform your home into a modern living space.
4. Do People Still Decorate with Mirrors?
Yes, mirror wall interior design is in high demand today. People are experimenting with different styles – traditional, boho, colourful, mix-media, etc. to get a modern yet classy look for their living spaces.
If you are considering mirrors for interior design work, you can get in touch with Homelane for interesting ideas and designs.