In today’s world where there is increased focus on mindfulness and holistic living, keeping a Buddha statue in your home can serve as a reminder of one’s spiritual aspirations. A statue of Buddha exudes peace and tranquillity, and you can experience a sense of calm and peace just by meditating on Buddha.
Vastu and Feng shui tenets suggest that by placing a statue of Buddha in prime locations in your home, you can usher in good ‘chi’ or positive energy and bring peace and harmony to your family.
We’ve listed out the seven best places to keep a Buddha statue in your home, as a reminder to awaken the Buddha in each of us and nurture mindful practices!
Near the Entrance
To ensure good ‘chi’ right at the entrance to your home, place a Buddha statue in your foyer, facing the front door. It is also believed that this will keep harmful negative energies away from your home. Never place your Buddha directly on the floor, but always have it on a pedestal or on a countertop.
In the Living Room
A Buddha statue can be placed on a side table or display case in your living room. You can create a small Zen corner with plants, pebbles and a small water fountain near the statue, if you wish, and can light incense or fragrant candles to evoke an atmosphere of calm stillness.
In the Garden
A Buddha made of granite or any other hard stone can be placed in a corner of your garden, amidst lush greenery and flowering plants. You could even choose to place this statue near a water body, with flowing or still water. Always ensure that the statue is placed on a stand or pedestal and never directly on the earth, and keep the surroundings clean at all times. You can clean the statue with water everyday so that it does not get muddy or dusty.
In the Prayer Room
A statue of Buddha in the characteristic meditation pose can be placed in your Meditation or Prayer room. Keep the statue above seated eye level, so that you look up to it when you are sitting on the ground. Do not place any other idols in this room, and also keep this room clutter-free and with minimal furniture.
In the Study
It goes without saying that when you work or study with a calm and peaceful mind, you will be able to focus and get better results. Keep a bust or statue of Buddha next to your desk, but at a higher level, and let that chi wash over you as you work! It’s also said that placing Buddha on your work desk can make all your dealings profitable ones, and that’s definitely something we all want!
In the Terrace Garden
A terrace or a balcony that can be converted into a garden is the ideal location for your Buddha statue. Relax in your garden after a tiring day, and let the Buddha’s compassion refresh and rejuvenate you! This is a great place to practice yoga and meditation as well, and dawn or dusk are considered to be a particularly potent time.
In the Family Room
Your family room is a space of togetherness and family bonding, and as such is the perfect place to place a Buddha statue —or, if space does not permit a statue, a painting of Buddha. Encourage positivity in your family relationships and nurture a healthy, happy home!
Important Points to Note:
- A Buddha statue should never be disrespected, and for this reason you should never place it in your bedroom, bathroom or kitchen areas.
- As far as possible, the statue should face the east direction.
- According to Vastu, placing a Buddha statue in the North-east corner of the house can help to tap into positive energies and life forces. It is believed that this is the zone where the sun’s energy enters the house, and a Buddha statue will help to activate this energy and spread it through your home.
- The location should not share a wall or a floor/ceiling with a kitchen or toilet. Never place the statue below a staircase, next to a toilet or kitchen wall, or below a toilet or kitchen on the floor above.
- The hugely popular Laughing Buddha statue does not depict the real Buddha, but a monk with a large belly and a cheerful, laughing face. This statue can be placed anywhere in your home and is said to be a harbinger of good luck and abundance.https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/beautiful-golden-laughing-budha-statue-1842720694
- You can place a metal bowl full of water, with floating rose petals, teal light candles, and pebbles in front of the statue of Buddha, to align with the five Vedic elements of earth, water, fire, air, and space.
- Feng shui dictates that a Buddha statue should not be placed near electrical outlets or heavy motorised equipment. This will disturb the energy in that location.
- It’s very important to keep your Buddha statue dust-free and the area around it clean. You can offer flowers and light incense sticks to dispel negative energies.
- Give the statue the importance it deserves, and do not clutter the surroundings with any items of less importance!
Looking for more décor ideas to help you create a calm and peaceful environment at home? Connect with a HomeLane design consultant today. We’ve got the ideas you’re looking for!